Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ready to paint

Decisions about materials and sizes are as important to me as the ideas and subject matter that I paint. I've been thinking about doing a triptyk with a square painting in the center and two narrow paintings on the sides.

My next multi-canvas piece will emphasize multiple view points by being composed of interchangeable panels that can be hung a variety of ways to show different viewpoints of the suburban landscape.

My thoughts about painting a triptych have evolved into painting a 4 panel piece, that will be composed of 2 images, each on 2 panels. The panels will be hung so that the center painting will consist of 2 panels together, with the other image divided and hung on each side. Instead of a square painting in the middle, the dimensions of each panel are 48x20, with the center painting of 2 panels being 48x40. This multi-paneled piece can also be changed to alternate images.

The flexibility allowed by stretching my own canvases has enabled me to choose the exact dimensions I want to paint and to design the hanging system as part of preparing the canvas. As I have already invested time and energy in these surfaces that same attention to detail will continue as I apply the paint.

No comments: