Friday, December 4, 2009

Last Homestead in process

My recent paintings are part of a series called Last Homestead. The title refers the home that remains in the center of construction along the bike path. Each painting shows either the house itself or the area around it from both aerial and ground level views. I am exploring ways to show the inevitable change that is now a significant part of our American lifestyle. There is tension between the disappearance of the familiar and the emergence of newer and better opportunities.

Three of these paintings are still in the final stages of the underpainting in which I used a limited palette of black, white, yellow ochre, and burnt sienna. While experimenting with oil glazes on the 20x20 I learned that I need to tone down my transparent oil colors to get the effect that I am looking for. That painting has since been re-painted with the limited palette.

1 comment:

erin said...

oooh these are really lovely. I am intrigued by the limited color palette of both this one and the underpainting in the last one. It makes me think about what you mentioned in terms of the changing landscape and perhaps our perception. Have you thought about keeping the limited palette? Nice Work! I am also excited to see how you place these images together. I like them set up with the panels, the small and larger canvases together to make a paneled looking piece.