Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Figurative Work

After another round of critiques at the January residency, I have been caught between moving on to new subject matter and defending my choice of landscape. I've been thinking about other subjects that address either the same themes as landscape painting, or opposing themes...I have realized that my attraction to landscape painting is to escape certain aspects of urban life. Does our society have an awareness of how the external influences of modern life have on the health of our interior? Constant negative media coverage of every event in the world, and the barrage of advertising lead to pervasive feelings of fear and discontentment. I believe that exposure to this chaos has a negative influence on the mind and soul. As a result, many Americans though living in a free country, are imprisoned by either anxiety or apathy. They have become disconnected from the natural world and have lost respect and appreciation for the mysteries that surround us. My next body of work will focus on oil paintings, monoprints and collage of figurative studies that depict the desire to escape, the searching for contentment, and the fearfulness that seems to dominate our culture. At the same time, I will be using pastels to paint very optimistic colorful images of the sky that provide a stark contrast to the figurative studies.

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Interesting thoughts on why you like landscapes. My thoughts are landscapes in the past were about exploration, expansion, and taking on the wild. Now I have heard, by more than one person, they paint landscapes to escape or hide. There might be a paper or something in the change in why landscapes are painted. Do you think more people paint landscapes as an escape from life? Of course I am excited that you are doing figurative work. Check out the book Postmodern Heretics by Eleanor Heartney. You may find it interesting. It's a short book. Keep up the great work Betsy!!

L. O'Toole said...

Hi Betsy, This sounds like a really interesting direction. It's like the other (unseen) half of what you were already doing. And something that might get people off your back a little. Cheers, Eliza