Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October Observations

October has been a month of continued research, experimentation, and possibly, a new direction for my painting. I've continued to practice the techniques of transparent oil painting using glazed layers for glowing and reflective color. New kinds of brushes and painting tools have also expanded the possiblities in my painting process. My experimental work has consisted of memory paintings, created from outdoor places that I have been. I am integrating the transparent techniques and using mediums that allow the oil paint to drip down to the bottom edge of the painting. I have noticed that most of my memories include trees and water, and little or no sky. I have also used my memory paintings as subjects for new paintings by looking for places that resemble these memories and taking photos to use for future work. The idea of painting water and reflections of trees in water has come from my experimental work. With the help of photo references I plan to create new designs that integrate transparency, dripping paint, and reflections of trees in water.

No comments: